Bookmark and Share
Senator Daniel Davenport
Daniel Davenport was born in 1760 to William and Mary Elizabeth Davenport of Tyrrell County, North Carolina. He had two brothers, James and David, and one sister, Mary. In 1786 he married Sarah Nichols and the two were blessed with five daughters, Unice, Elizabeth, Priscilla, Nancy and Asenath.

Daniel's occupation was listed as farmer. He owned 1,211 acres of land, part of it being from grants. He owned 996 acres in the Davenport Community (now known as Mt. Tabor) north of Scuppernong River. Cotton, wheat, flax and tobacco were grown on the farm. Livestock included oxen, mules, horses, hogs, chickens, geese, cattle, goats and sheep. Wildlife was plentiful and animals were hunted and trapped for both food and hides.

From the Colonial Record, we know that the State House of Representatives ordered that Daniel Davenport, a soldier in the 5th Regiment commanded by Col. Edward Buncome, be discharged from his six month's inlistment (sic) in the said regiment, and which expired 21st day of November last, provided that this order shall not prejudice andy claim the officer may be able to make appear indifferent testimony of any inlistment for a longer time.

Daniel represented the newly formed Washington County (and helped survey the lines that carved the new county from Tyrrell County) in the North Carolina Senate in 1800 and from 1803–1807 He died before taking office in 1808 and was replaced by Thomas Johnson. While in office, Daniel was instrumental in getting many bills passed concerning Washington County. Most noteworthy was a bill to authorize Ebenezer Pettigrew to erect a drawbridge across the Scuppernong River at the landing of Dempsey Spruill. The bridge replaced the wooded bridge on the road leading to the mill on Lake Phelps. A drawbridge was necessary so that vessels could travel up the river to Cherry landing laden with goods.

Daniel later married Lucretia Comstock. After his death, the Davenport land was divided among the five daughters. Davenports lived on the land over 200 years.